Skip to main content

Week In Reverse 6/30/18

Spotify's playlist takeover thing with Drake is the funniest thing I saw all week (especially Drake on the cover of the "Ambient Chill" playlist), but it will also probably work, which is less funny


Drake - Scorpion (2018)

Why, Aubrey, why? Why did you go down this road? No one can really complain about the length since every solo album he's made since So Far Gone has been over an hour. But this time it's a conceptual double album! In theory, that could be interesting. In practice, it made me want to go to sleep. Drake has slowly morphed into a clone of himself ever since Views in 2016. Each respective album is more popular, but each one is more centralized in what everyone thinks Drake sounds like. At this point, it feels like he listened to Take Care and said "I want to make an album like that, but longer! And worse!" Both sides grow heavy with monotony after a few tracks and rarely even try to break it up. "God's Plan" and "Nice For What" are actually a breath of fresh air, because at least it's something familiar instead of something bland and unknowable. I must concede, however, that this is the first Drake album since IYRTITL that I have enjoyed more than one song beyond my initial listen of the entire bloated thing. "Summer Games" feels like a spiritual sequel to last year's great "Passionfruit" (even though it isn't quite as good), and I like the song where he brings out an unreleased Michael Jackson sample for the hook. If you wanted to hear this, you probably already did. Good for you, bud. If you don't, only listen if you run out of Nyquil.


This Will Destroy You - S/T (10th Anniversary Edition) [2018]

I probably already wrote about this album in a previous edition of this column, because it is one of my go-to "listen when sad" albums, and I am often sad. But now it's got a 10th anniversary edition, the only difference being one additional track. Regardless of the blatant capitalism of it all, this is one of my favorite albums. The emotional progression of each song is greater than a thousand songs with sad lyrics. So much honesty and candor comes out in the composition, despite falling quite squarely in the "loud-soft" trope of most post-rock. S/T is life-affirming; it acknowledges genuine pain but it implores you to move on. It is not forceful; it is a clap of thunder right behind you. It is the clouds and the bottom of a river.


Ben Caplan - Old Stock (2018)

If you have ever wanted to hear a conceptual Eastern European theatre production about refugees in love, you're in luck. Old Stock is exceptionally clever, fun, and darkly honest. Once you get over the initial shock of such a humorous gimmick, you find an insightful and heart-wrenching tale of love in the face of adversity. So, a musical pretty much. But a damn good one.


Bora York - Secret Youth (2015)/Dreaming Free (2013)

I will start by saying that I had these two albums on the background while in the midst of a bout of manic productivity. Suffice to say I didn't comprehend many details about the songs found here, which is unfortunate. What I can guarantee, however, is that this is some of the most fun, energetic indie pop I've heard recently. Definitely check it out, I will certainly be returning to both records. Sidenote: "Lemoncholy" is an excellent song title.


Teen Suicide - i will be my own hell because there is a devil inside my body (2015)

"I am sad! I want to die! I don't have quality recording equipment! I am deep!" is the unofficial Ear Coffee tagline for this album. It is exactly my kind of album.


Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz (2010)

After at least five years with this album, it still blows me away with its sheer weirdness. It is bizarre not only by Sufjan standards, but just in general. There is so much going on constantly throughout the entire bloody thing that it's nearly impossible to keep track of. I love it.


Manchester Orchestra - The Black Mile Demos (2018)

Usually demo records are a bit of a novelty for anyone who isn't a hardcore fan (this is no exception), but The Black Mile Demos is an interesting listen. It basically serves as an acoustic EP of some songs from the band's 2017 album. Despite this, it's kind of cool to see how the songs involved before coming into their much more potent full band arrangements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Music Friday 8/3/18

St. Vincent Announces New Album "MASSEDUCTION"

Natalie Fideler - "Caffeine Headache" | Premiere