Skip to main content

AMY HZL - "Yr Nectar" | New Music



Duluth based singer-songwriter AMY HZL first came across my radar back in February when I ran saw her video submission to NPR's Tiny Desk Contest. I was drawn to the authenticity in her raw, bedroom pop stylings with jangly guitar and a drum machine. She had released a dance-y single titled "bad 4 me" the year prior, but I was hoping for some more from the singer.


Thankfully, Heavy Meadow Records announced earlier this month that they had partnered with the artist to put out her debut self-titled EP. Along with the announcement, AMY HZL put out the gloomy new song "Yr Nectar," a track tells a bittersweet love story.  "Drawn to that which is so sweet / I'm like a honey bee" she sings, but "Yr Nectar" takes a turn toward not feeling as "sweet" or as pure, and the singer pleads, "Please, please honey / tell me that I taste like you do." The track evokes The Cure with its ability to switch between a love song and a song of fear and inadequacy.

A release show for AMY HZL's self-titled EP is scheduled for Tuesday, July 9 at the Kitty Cat Klub in Minneapolis. You can pre-order a cassette copy of the EP through Heavy Meadow Records Bandcamp page.

Listen to "Yr Nectar" below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Music Friday 8/3/18

Natalie Fideler - "Caffeine Headache" | Premiere

St. Vincent Announces New Album "MASSEDUCTION"